Thursday, August 20, 2009

Great American Hero


When I think of "Great American Hero" several people pop in to my mind, and sadly, they all were stars of late 1990's CBS Friday night dramas. Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman, Texas Walker Ranger, and everybody's favorite cat loving/early newspaper recipient, Gary Hobson (Kyle Chandler, Early Edition). Sadly, none of My American Hero's greeted me at this Lemmon Ave. establishment, but the sandy more than made up for that.



When we first tried to enter the drive through line, Lauren and I almost died. I went the wrong way, then had to turn around, go 3 blocks down and turn back around. Instead of being deterred by our unfortunate routing, our excitement only mounted. If the parking lot is full, and the drive-thru is stopping traffic, something must be legit about this sandwich shack. Legit it was my friends, legit indeed. The menu choices are endless and as soon as I saw the 50000000 different bread choices, I started to sweat. MENU ANXIETY. As I sat there and pondered if they would allow me to do half my sandwich in a spinach tortilla and the other half split between wheat and jalapeno cheese, the window lady asked for my order. She must have thought I didn't speak English because for about 6 seconds I stuttered and said umm, uhh, before finally asking if she would allow me a moment to think. But I didn't ask it like "ya, can you give me a sec please," I asked her in a way that you would ask someone to give you their baby--"Oh, please, so sorry ma'am, but can I have just a minute, I am soooo sorry!" (All said in a fake, high-pitched voice). I settled on turkey, cheese, avocado and sprouts on wheat. I think mayo is for fatties (even though its usually the skinny ones who love it so much), but they had basil mayo, so I asked for a little bit of that. Lauren (one of the skinny ones) ordered Turkey, roast beef, cheese, lettuce, pickles and MAYO. Roast beef and mayo, La...Really? Training for a shot-put tournament are we? Anyways, I got baked Cheetos and she got jap chips. All very legit.

Bread--very soft, very delicious. The meat and cheese were freshly cut (shaved? not really sure what deli terms are used), and the avocado was ripe. All in all, this bright pink and yellow shack makes a sandwich that will be a contender for best turkey sandy.

Lauren's vote: 3 1/2 Chins, maybe she shouldn't have gotten roast beef, butch.
My vote: almost 4 Chins, I'm a sucker for good bread

I can't believe I almost forgot the most important part...Close your eyes, now picture this: A hot piece of Sonic crushed ice walks in to Eatzi's. She's walkin around, trying all the dips (acting like she hasn't tried them twice already today just like the rest of us), and she catches the eye of the slightly more refined Eatzi's shaved ice. Long story short, they fall in love and create a baby Ice, which is the perfect balance between shaved and crushed, with a crunch that goes lovely with a fresh diet coke. If it were possible to date a piece of ice, I would. So, thank you Great American Hero, for feeding my addiction and for mating two such wonderful ices.


http://www.greatamericanhero.net/Heros.htm

Great American Hero on Urbanspoon

1 comment: