Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Devouring Dallas--A girl on a mission

The mind of the modern day twenty two year old is not a very complex one. For those of us who have graduated college, the job search is daunting. Thus, for most of us, our life schedule is as follows:
1) Find job openings
2) Land interview
3) Get to the [insert generic fast food chain restaurant] interview thinking that you are there for some corporate management job (after all, you did graduate with a 3.8 in Business Honors at an Ivy League school) and find out that you are actually interviewing to be the new McNugget fryer.
4) Terrified of being jobless, you accept your fate as a fast food fryer, leaving the interview with a brand new hairnet and cleanly pressed “chef” pants.

My schedule is a bit different. After graduating from the University of Texas with an English degree, I moved back to Dallas to work at an Auction Gallery. Sadly, during my down time at the office, I am not scrolling through facebook or gchatting with friends…My keystrokes during breaks always tend to be the same. Google is my best friend, and that genius search engine always knows what is coming as soon as I start typing the letter: “B.” As soon as that first keystroke is down, Google, my omniscient, obedient pet, knows the rest of my search query… “est restaurants in Dallas.” When a list of the generic, paid advertisers pops up, my frustration mounts. Every time I go out to eat, I go back to my old faithful…anything in the MCrowd (not talking bad about MCrowd—love me some Mico or Taco Diner), anything owned by Lombardi (you can’t go wrong with Taverna or any of his restaurants), or a chain restaurant are always my go-to’s. But not any longer—I am now going to start popping in to all of those restaurants that I drive by and say “Oh, I’ve heard of that, I want to try it,” or “That place looks legit, look at the mix of cars/people/etc.” I am going on the quest for the most satiating of sandwiches, mouthwatering Mexican, etc (I can only do so many alliterations with adjective and food genres.)
I have decided, to start, to find the best of these items in Dallas, all the while documenting my meals, experiences, and maybe a few side stories (I’m not that interesting, but I do get myself in awkward situations that make people feel better about themselves—hey, my humiliation is for your sheer enjoyment.

2 comments:

  1. BRAVO!!! I read your blog at least 3 times a day!! It's very insightful and entertaining!! Your writing and commentary is hiliarious!! Love, Muskrat

    Keep on posting!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREETINGS, EARTHLING!! While I can’t stay in this existence finite for long, gotta run back to the Elysian Fields soon, I do so wanna give you our 19 blogs, our sassy, savvy, sardonic satirical stalwarts -if- you’d allow this sinfull mortal to kiss your gorgeous, adorable feets in the Heavenly Great Beyond. Cool? tok2me, miss beautiful babe, Upstairs where we’ll have a never-ending, BIG-ol, kick-ass party-hardy and you yourself will be totally, COMpletely thrilled for the length and breadth of eternity. I know. I was in Utopia for about one month (read my profile). God bless you. Meet me in Heaven, girl, to love you, to be one with you, to be a part of us, to serve you forever and ever, as I’ll give you the most delicious backrub and I’ll feed you baklava, those lil’ bitty oranges, and caress your gorgeous, wonderfull body for bringing you this far; actually, I love you more than you know, from head2toe, bodyNsoul, you’re wonderful-to-behold. Join me Upstairs …thewarningsecondcoming.com

    ReplyDelete